By Laura Cornish
Let’s go shopping for your formal dress. There’s the budget factor, the mother factor, the underwear factor, the what-if-someone-else-is-wearing-my-dress factor. The whole expedition—whether online or in a store—can feel tiring and endless.
Plus (excuse the pun), for many girls, the biggest challenge is the plus-size factor. If you don’t look like you’ve stepped out of Cosmopolitan—and not many of us do—how do you find a gorgeous, elegant, fun dress that makes you feel a million dollars? How do you dress for your shape when your shape is the thing that bothers you the most?
And there’s the fruit factor: are you apple shaped? Pear shaped? We're confident it’s not about sizes, it’s about shape. “If you put three size-14 girls in front of me, they won’t all look gorgeous in the same dress. I’d find a dress to suit each of their shapes.”
Some key tips:
• You may have to compromise on what you wanted. The dress you thought would look amazing simply doesn’t. Don’t worry.
• Professional alterations are simple: add some straps, add embellishments, have the dress taken in here, and out here.
• Investigate a local dressmaker. Nothing says beautiful like a handmade, perfectly fitted dress that you’ve designed yourself.
• Colour is also important. If you want to avoid pale colours, but don’t want to wear black, how about a dark emerald, rich plum colour, or a punchy red for your big night?
• Shop with underwear in mind (and bodysuits work wonders, too)
Confidence is key: wear the dress, don’t let it wear you. Now, shoulders back, no fidgeting, and … smile!
Location:Brisbane Change Location